China toll leaps past 1,600 as first death reported outside Asia

first_imgAn 80-year-old Chinese tourist died from the new coronavirus, French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn said Saturday.Only three other deaths have been recorded outside mainland China — in the Philippines, Hong Kong, and Japan.The death toll in China, meanwhile, rose to 1,662 Sunday after Hubei reported 139 new deaths.Several countries have banned arrivals from China and major airlines have cut services to the country. The death toll from the new coronavirus outbreak surpassed 1,600 in China on Sunday, with the first fatality reported outside Asia fuelling global concerns.More than 68,000 people have now been infected in China from a virus that emerged in central Hubei province in December before spreading across the country and some two dozen countries.Amid criticism over the handling of the crisis, Chinese President Xi Jinping called for tighter policing to protect social stability, while Beijing ordered people returning to the capital to self-quarantine for 14 days in the latest drastic measure aimed at containing the virus. The biggest cluster outside China is on a quarantined cruise ship off Japan, with 285 infections now as dozens more cases were confirmed. A US State Department spokesperson said Americans stranded on the vessel would be evacuated, and would face a further quarantine of two weeks in the United States.- More police -The virus spread last month as millions travelled across the country for the Lunar New Year holiday, which was extended by three days — more than a week in some cities — in an effort to prevent further contagion.People have slowly started to return to work in the past two weeks, though many are doing their jobs from home and schools remain closed.Beijing’s municipal government enacted a rule on Friday requiring all people coming to the capital to quarantine themselves for 14 days, warning that violators would be punished, according to official media.It was unclear how authorities would enforce the measure.Chinese authorities have placed some 56 million people in Hubei and its capital Wuhan under quarantine, virtually sealing off the province from the rest of the country in an unprecedented effort to contain the virus.A number of cities far from the epicentre have also imposed tough measures limiting the number of people who can leave their homes.The government must “increase use of police force and strengthen the visible use of police”, to ensure stability during the crisis, Xi said in a February 3 speech published by state media on Saturday.In another drastic preventive measure, China’s central bank said Saturday that used banknotes were being disinfected with ultraviolet light or high temperatures, and stored for up to 14 days before they are put back into circulation.The scale of the epidemic ballooned this week after authorities in Hubei changed their criteria for counting cases, retroactively adding thousands of new patients to their tally.- New cases fall -Hubei added more than 14,000 cases in a single day this week after officials there started counting people clinically diagnosed through lung imaging, in addition to those with a positive lab test result.On Saturday, the National Health Commission reported 2,641 new cases of the COVID-19 strain, with the vast majority in Hubei.The number, however, was almost half those reported the previous day, and World Health Organization (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the body has asked China for details on how diagnoses were being made.”China has bought the world time. We don’t know how much time,” he said.”We ask all governments, companies, and news organisations to work with us to sound the appropriate level of alarm without fanning the flames of hysteria.”He said he was concerned by the continued increase of cases in China as well as “the lack of urgency in funding the response from the international community”.The number of new confirmed cases has been steadily falling outside Hubei.A top Chinese scientist had predicted that the epidemic could peak by the end of this month after the number of new cases had fallen earlier in the week.But the WHO has cautioned that it was “way too early” to make any predictions about the disease’s trajectory.An international team of WHO experts will arrive in Beijing this weekend for a joint mission with Chinese counterparts.Topics :last_img read more

Read More »

Wenger will be backed in window

first_img Wenger, though, must immediately turn his attention to accommodating for the loss of Walcott, who was a potent weapon in the Arsenal attack and had netted five goals since his return from a stomach injury. Forward options for the Barclay Premier League leaders were already depleted, as Nicklas Bendtner will need several weeks to fully recover from the ankle injury he picked up while scoring a late goal in the 2-0 win over Cardiff on New Year’s Day, while France Under-21 international Yaya Sanogo, a free summer signing, has only now stepped up his rehabilitation from a back problem. Olivier Giroud missed the Spurs match because of illness after shaking off a minor ankle injury, and remains Arsenal’s lead attacker. While the loss of Walcott is clearly a blow, the emergence of German 18-year-old Serge Gnabry, who set up the opening goal against Spurs, and imminent return to full fitness of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain at least give Wenger some ready-made cover on the right side. However, how best to offer direct support to French striker Giroud will now be key for Wenger as Arsenal look to last the distance in the race for honours through to May. Fit-again Lukas Podolski offers another option, although the German striker was somewhat subdued when deployed in a central role against Cardiff, while club-record signing Mesut Ozil can provide telling back-up behind the main forward. Although Wenger concedes a big-money signing during January is notoriously difficult to push through, Press Association Sport understands American owner Kroenke and the rest of the board would sanction raiding some of the club’s substantial cash reserves should the manager identify the right calibre of player. Atletico Madrid frontman Diego Costa certainly fits that bill having impressed in La Liga, but would also come with a hefty £32million-plus price tag even if the Spanish club – who are joint top of the table and in the last 16 of the Champions League – were to consider selling, which appears unlikely. Press Association The Gunners confirmed their worst fears late on Monday following tests and specialist consultations, which revealed the 24-year-old would need surgery following anterior cruciate ligament damage sustained when making a defensive tackle during the closing stages of the third-round FA Cup win over Tottenham at the Emirates Stadium. The club have rallied behind Walcott, who is expected to undergo an operation next week once the swelling on his left knee has eased, with messages of support flooding in from fans and fellow professionals alike. Although Wenger appeared to play down the possibility, veteran Fulham forward Dimitar Berbatov would provide a cut-price short-term solution, with the former Tottenham and Manchester United man likely to be available for under £5million if the Cottagers were open to offers. Lazio’s Miroslav Klose, 35, would also provide the experienced cover required, with the German forward out of contract in the summer. Promising 21-year-old Alvaro Morata is another stop-gap loan option, although Real Madrid have always maintained a reluctance to let him leave despite somewhat limited current first-team opportunities at the Bernabeu. Walcott, meanwhile, will be given all the support needed as he begins what is expected to be a long road back to full match-fitness. Former Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson revealed the 24-year-old was remaining positive, despite the double blow of also now missing out on the chance to play for England at the World Cup finals in Brazil. “I did text him to say how well he played (against Tottenham) and that we were thinking of him and – as you’d expect because he’s such a good guy – I got a very, very positive response,” Wilson said on Sky Sports News. “It wasn’t a long message, but the main line coming through was ‘I will get through this’. “He is a positive lad still in his early 20s, and you think of Aaron Ramsey with the career-threatening injury he had (a broken leg in 2010) and how well he has come through. “I know the treatment he will get and all the positivity he has. We wish him well.” Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will have the full backing of majority owner Stan Kroenke and the board should he wish to make any major moves in the January transfer window following the loss of England forward Theo Walcott for the rest of the season with a knee injury.last_img read more

Read More »

Nigeria knock out holders Cameroon in Nations Cup thriller

first_imgBy Brian HomewoodALEXANDRIA, Egypt (Reuters) – Nigeria ousted holders and bitter rivals Cameroon from the Africa Cup of Nations, scoring twice in three minutes to come from behind and win a thrilling last-16 match 3-2 yesterday.In a game that fully lived up to its billing, Odion Ighalo gave Nigeria a 19th-minute lead but Cameroon hit back with two goals in quick succession before halftime from Stephane Bahoken and Clinton Njie.Ighalo levelled again for Nigeria – who have lost three AFCON finals to Cameroon – in the 63rd minute amid suspicions of offside before Alex Iwobi snatched the winner for the jubilant Super Eagles three minutes later.The win earned Nigeria a quarter-final meeting against hosts Egypt or South Africa who were meeting later yesterday. Both teams finished second in their groups and had not been in the best of form and it showed with an abundance of defensive mistakes, but there was also much to admire in an end-to-end match.Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr said the shock defeat by Madagascar in their final group match might have benefitted his side. “It did us good, it helped motivate us today to win this very difficult match,” he said.Cameroon coach Clarence Seedorf said his team paid for sitting on their lead. “We slowed down a little too much instead of trying to score the third goal,” he said. “Obviously, Nigeria have all the quality to score goals and I think that was what went wrong, in general terms.” It was a scrappy opening with misplaced passes by both sides until Nigeria went ahead in the 19th minute with an untidy goal.Cameroon’s defence failed to deal with a free kick into the area and Kenneth Omeruo found Ighalo who reacted quickly and scored with a shot that was deflected into the net.The Nigeria defence still looked vulnerable as a wild miskick by Omeruo gave Cameroon a corner and they also handed Cameroon a chance which Pierre Kunde Malong wasted by firing over. But the game turned dramatically before halftime as Cameroon, who had not scored in their previous two games, struck twice in three minutes.Christian Bassogog wriggled past his marker on the right and sent a perfect cross into the area, leaving Bahoken with the formality of turning the ball into the net in the 41st minute.Nigeria had barely time to recover when Cameroon struck again with Bahoken turning provider as he flicked the ball to Clinton Njie who raced past Olaoluwa Aina and drilled the ball into the net. Goalkeeper Victor Akyepi made a desperate last-ditch save to prevent a Nigeria own goal early in the second half before the game took another twist.Nigeria levelled in the 61st minute when Ahmed Musa chested the ball into the path of Ighalo to volley home. He was level with the last man although it was the sort of goal that might be ruled out for offside by the VAR system which will be introduced in the quarter-finals.Three minutes later, Ighalo turned provider as he set up Iwobi who beat Andre Onana with a calm finish to seal a famous victory and set off wild celebrations among the Nigerian players, officials and media.last_img read more

Read More »

Carmelo Anthony to sign with Trail Blazers in NBA return, report says

first_imgMORE: Porzingis booed loudly in return to MSGThe 35-year-old forward has been working to get back into the league ever since being waived last February by the Bulls, who had acquired him a trade with the Rockets. He recently expressed confidence that he would land with a team. Anthony will give Portland a scoring threat at power forward in the absence of the injured Zach Collins. Even in a diminished role the past two seasons, Anthony averaged 16.2 and 13.4 points, respectively. He is a career 24.0-point-per game scorer. Carmelo Anthony is returning to the NBA with the Trail Blazers, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported Thursday night.Anthony has agreed to a non-guaranteed contract with Portland and will join the team during a road trip that begins Saturday in San Antonio, Wojnarowski added. Yahoo Sports’ Chris Haynes reported that Blazers star point guard Damian Lillard is on board with the move. Two of Anthony’s best buds, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, were also pleased to learn the news RIGHT!!!! 🙌🏾 https://t.co/7wCnzozgNV— LeBron James (@KingJames) November 15, 2019It’s about damn time‼️ https://t.co/6A3wDbbrQ2— DWade (@DwyaneWade) November 15, 2019Portland has has struggled to a 4-8 record through its first 12 games.last_img read more

Read More »